Pin / Unpin document from a document rem's menu so I don't have to go to the documents view and find it to unpin it

I’m finding that I often have this need:

I will be viewing a rem either as its own document or nested within another rem and find I’d like to pin / un-pin that rem from the side bar but can’t do it there

The only way to this currently, unless I’ve missed something, is to go to the documents list and locate the rem (without search capability on that documents view which i’m sure is coming, but for now that makes it all the more time consuming) and then un-check the pinned option.

it would save a lot of time and interrupt workflow a lot less to be able to pin / unpin directly from the menu of a rem / document whether that rem is being viewed as a nested rem within another rem or as a its document (see below)

I’d add more screenshots but apparently new users can’t add more than one because… ?

This remains an issue in 1.3.6. See Unpinned documents not removed from sidebar

Have you seen How can I pin a document?

Thanks for sharing @hannesfrank. I tried those and they all worked however, I only seem to be able to pin things. It would be great if any of those also included options to unpin. Is that a feature / missing feature or is that some quirk of my machine? Are you able to use these options to actually un-pin things as well?

What we understood earlier was along the lines of: “I want to Change the Status from Pinned to Draft.”

Reading your topic in the Bug section, it sounds to me like the issue is actually this: “Untag as a Document option isn’t removing the Document from the Sidebar”. Is this the issue or am I misunderstanding it?

I’ll explain a bit of how Statuses and Untag as a Document work, to make sure we are both talking about the same thing going forward. :smiley: Please bear with me, I don’t mean it in a condescending way.

Documents are simple Rem tagged with the Document PowerUp. Documents show up in the Sidebar.

You can also right click the Document’s name in the Sidebar to access most of the same menu in your image. :slight_smile:

When you change the Status of a document, you move it between Pinned, Draft, and Finished. Those are all supposed to show in your sidebar, with the document being able to have any of those statuses and therefore show up under any of those sections.
For example, a document with a Pinned status will show under the Pinned section of the Sidebar. Changing its status from Pinned to Draft, will move the document under the the Draft section of the sidebar, and its status with be of Draft. This is what we understood earlier by Unpinning.

There isn’t really such a thing (at least not widely used terminology-wise) as Unpinning or an Unpinned status that would remove a document from showing up in the sidebar, so I admit that confused us a bit earlier as well. :sweat_smile:

Untag as a Document is not a Status and is not connected to the Pinned status. But it does affect the display of Documents in the sidebar. :slightly_smiling_face:

On my end, unchecking Untag as a Document, no matter of the Document’s Status, does remove the document from the Sidebar. By clicking it, the option changes its name to Tag Rem as a Document which indicates the switch took place, and allows you to reverse your choice (or to tag whichever other Rems as Documents).

Checking on Tag Rem as a Document places the Document in the Sidebar, but doesn’t maintain the Status the document had, so it simply defaults to assigning it the Draft Status, and placing the Document under the Draft section in the Sidebar.

I see. Yes I can understand how that would be confusing.

I have customized my sidebar to only contain the pinned section.

I am able to untag as a document and that does indeed remove it from the pinned section. However, changing the status of a document from pinned to draft does not appear to remove it from the pinned section of the side bar.

Thanks for clearing that up! :blush:

Since the topic’s questions (how to Pin and Untag) were answered earlier, I’ll mark it as solved, lock this topic, and copy over your clarification to the one reporting on the bug. That alright with you?

Most definitely. Thank you.

Same steps as in what hannes shared, just select Draft or Finished instead. For 2 just do the shortcut combo again.

Thanks @Gabriela.AD I see the issue now. You’re right it will un-pin it. But the pinned section of the sidebar does not seem to reflect the update whether I use the keyboard shortcut or uncheck the “Pinned” checkbox in the document view. I’m running 1.1.12 on Ubuntu 20.04.1. If anyone sees something I’m doing wrong, let me know. I’ve tried refreshing, restarting and minimizing / maximizing the sidebar multiple times with no luck. Otherwise, maybe this is a bug?