Reference includes name from templates/slots

See this post for more info on this issue & a github report was submitted last month here
@mattygrov @Martin

When I am using templates and slots, the slot name gets pulled into a reference, and this is quite undesirable when referencing a rem in a group of text.

The below image shows a “Parent topic” with a template of two slots. I then reference “Example 1”. The slot name “template slot 1” gets pulled into the reference name.

It even does this if I make the “Template slot 1” a concept under “Parent topic” and under the original template location.

The below image shows the newly added “show full name” option for reference names, which is great. But when I select “hide full name”, the “template slot 1” doesn’t go away.

An example of referencing in a sentence

Just want to point out that this issue was reported about 4.5 months ago in References to Concepts made out of other References are displayed like Descriptors and shows wrong Parent. No one seems to care :man_shrugging:

I am pretty sure that your issue is almost identical to the previously reported issue, if not another variant. Just to confirm, in your example, is template slot 1 a reference to something else?

1 Like

template slot 1 is a referencing only the template’s slot rem. Thanks for pointing out that other github report. They are similar variants (mine has to do with Parents being references, the one you linked appears to be referencing a rem that has within itself a reference). See below for three examples (1 & 2 are from my posts, 3 is from your linked example that I recreated)

1 Like

Yup, there are two situations in which this happens. One is Issue #366 - Parent name shows up in Child reference (more relevant) and the other one is Issue #71 - References to Concepts made out of other References are displayed like Descriptors and shows wrong Parent (this is corner case that happens when the parent has exactly 1 or 2 uppercase characters - strange). The intention of #71 was to report #366 behavior as well, but it got buried in details. Anyways, it is good that we have two issues now. I hope at least #366 gets a fix soon.

@edhowe and @liberated_potato thanks for making such detailed reports, and I apologise for the delay in the response. We are currently cleaning up the forum, and we wish to be more responsive starting now.

In the above shown example here : Reference includes name from templates/slots - #3 by edhowe

Example 1 and 2 seems like the same behaviour to me, where a rem that contains nothing but a reference in it, behaves like a Reference. I think this is an intended behaviour (not saying it’s the best behaviour), will look into this further and get back to you with more information.

Example 3 looks like a bug to me, let me try to explore this further.

Thank you for your patience, I hope you understand why the team hasn’t been able to respond to all the reports until now. With the influx of new staff and team members, we are now confident that we can attend to all your issues with a short turnaround time.

Have a great day!

Hello, the RemNote community,
I’ve encountered problems when using slots for templates along with the universal descriptor. Whenever I was adding universal descriptor to the template like the screenshot below,

as I tag the template, some universal descriptors will display the parent Rem of that universal descriptor. The same situation doesn’t happen when using normal Rems instead of Universal Descriptors, like the screen shot below

I wonder that if anyone encounter the same problem or if there is a fix for it? It’s not really a big deal but I’m new here and not quite sure about the use of Universal Descriptors. Thanks!

1 Like

same problem here, did you find any way to fix it?

I had the same issue as @fireman333 and think I’ve worked out a solution.

The solution is to use ‘##Template Slot’ power-up when creating the slots for your Template instead of using ‘#slot’.

I had been using ‘#slot’ and the Template parent were showing up in the child slots (as in @fireman333’s example), but when I switched to ‘##Template slot’ this no longer happened.

You can just make the slots into concepts or regular rem under their template and they won’t show their parent. See Add a toggle to add slots as concepts or plain rem

1 Like

Thanks @UMNiK my solution seemed to work some of the time, but for some reason the parent sometimes showed up even when I had tagged it as a ‘Template slot’. Your solution seems to work more consistently.

For the benefit of anyone else having this issue, the steps of the solution are:

1. Create your template in the normal way, i.e. turn its children into slots. To do this, I select all the children and then use the omnibar to, i.e. ‘CMD+/’, then type ‘slots’ and hit enter.

2. Now turn all the children of a template into plain rem using the omnibar, i.e. ‘CMD+/’, then type ‘blank’ and hit enter.

The slots’ parent should no longer show up when you use the template.

Sadly, there is no keystroke for removing concept-descriptor (what /blank does), but there are for turning rem into slots and concepts, so you can just select the rem and hit ctrl+alt+s and then ctrl+alt+c.

I’m not having another issue. When I use the template and add slots to it, the slots automatically become italicised. Does this happen to anyone else? I’m having to change the rem type every time, it is very annoying.

Yup, rem with added slots are descriptors by default, use /blank to remove that.

I see, thanks. It is an incredibly annoying feature, I see that you raised a similar issue here: Add a toggle to add slots as concepts or plain rem - #3 by UMNiK

I will post this issue there.

1 Like