Typing vs. handwriting

Hi,

i love to take notes by hand because the sentences are much shorter. If i type them on a laptop they are much longer.

How do you handle this issue and create short notes?

Regards

Steffen

You could combine or/replace handwriting and typing in at least three ways:

1. Annotate and then rephrase into RemNote.
    I prefer to handwrite on the tablet (Write on PDF App + S Pen), using square brackets []to highlight parts of the text I find relevant (colours would only go to hard to spot concepts as huge chunks of colour seem to block my desire to rewrite and analyze the text, or they are used as a first pass and then replaced with the bracket highlights, albeit that’d only happen on bumpy commutes that won’t provide enough accuracy for precise pen usage).
    Afterwards, I summarize in my own words on the edges of the PDF (annotate).
    Once the text is fully processed, I then to turn those snippets into RemNote notes.

2. Handwrite or dictate directly into RemNote.
    If your device supports it, or by using certain tools, you can take advantage of both built-in and third-party Apps to handwrite or dictate almost anywhere on your device, including directy into RemNote.
    See here for some methods and inspiration.

3. Obviously, you can use another tool to annotate/handwrite and then import those notes into RemNote.
    Those could be Image Occlusions, PDFs, plain text, etcetera.
    I prefer to use the first option instead since it forces me to come in contact and re-rephrase & properly allocate them to the Concept-Descriptor framework.

Hi! I use an iPad, so I’m able to use the Goodnotes app to take handwritten notes which I can convert to Text and paste into RemNote. That way I get the best of both worlds.

When I’m working from Textbooks I also have found that if I just read a paragraph or two at a time and then write my notes with a closed textbook; they’re a lot more concise. It also lets me benefit from active recall (albeit in a very low-tech way). However it does take a bit longer because I often find that I need to open my book and make sure I haven’t missed anything.