[Wiki] Tricks of search function: simple logic operation and language adaptation

1.Introduction
1.1 Current versions of RemNote don’t support search functions with logic operation of keywords. However, I found a simple way to realize basic logic function when doing searches and it is enough for my daily use. (see section 2)
1.2 Languages with non-ascii characters may cause collapses when typing in the search bar. But this bug is avoidable. (see section 3) {issue already fixed in current versions}
1.3 Languages that don’t have blank spaces between words and phrases like Chinese and Japanese are not well supported in RemNote’s search funtion, resulting in confusing search results. However, this issue can also be avoided. (see section 4)

2. Simple Logic Operation
2.1 And operation of two keywords
2.1.1 Suppose we want to search for a sentence containing both of two essencial key words. Let’s call them “KW1” and “KW2”
2.1.2 Open a new empty rem anywhere you want.
2.1.3 Type “/add search portal” to add a search portal here. Type ``KW1`` in the search portal.
2.1.4 On the same page, press “Ctrl + F” to open the filter bar. Type ``KW2``in the filter bar.
2.1.5 Then the search results in search portal become that of {“KW1” and “KW2”}, goal reached.

2.2 OR operation of N keywords
2.2.1 Suppose we want to search for a sentence containing any of three essencial key words. Let’s call them “KW1” ,"KW2"and “KW3”.
2.2.2 Open a new empty rem anywhere you want.
2.2.3 Type “/add search portal” to add a search portal here. Type ``KW1`` ``KW2`` ``KW3`` in the search portal.
2.2.4 Then the search results in search portal become that of {“KW1” or “KW2” or “KW3”}.

2.3 combination of AND and OR operation
2.3.1 Very similar to procedures in 2.1 and 2.2: Type ``KW1`` ``KW2`` in the search portal. Type ``KW3`` ``KW4`` in the filter bar.
2.3.2 Search results become that of {(“KW1” or “KW2”) and (“KW3” or “KW4”)}.

3. Non-ascii Language Collapses{issue already fixed in current versions}
3.1 Typing non-ascii language characters like 汉字 in search bar openned with “Ctrl + P” short cut directly may cause collapses.
3.2 Typing (blank space)汉字 with a simple blank space added before the first character can avoid collapses.

4. Language without Blank Spaces between Words
4.1 Doing search with these words directly causes messed search results. For example, if you search 几何 , the results include rems with either or character in it, not rems containing the complete Chines word.
4.2 Search ``几何`` , with `` ``added around your keywords, the results become correct.

<logic operation, example for 2.3>

<search for words in typical languange, example for 4.1>

<search for words in typical languange, example for 4.2>

<PS:Tree-like outline structure is well supported in RemNote but not in RemNote forum. A little bit not used to :joy:.>

16 Likes

This is cool idea.
Do you know how to display all unfinished todo rems that are in daily documents?

2 Likes

This may help: https://forum.remnote.io/t/unfinished-todo-powerup/25610 and Ability to Pull all ToDos with a same tag into one doc (in a summary?) - #3 by April_Kuras.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve tried couple of solutions but they don’t work, I guess we have to wait for queries to be able to do this.

EDIT: I tried one more thing and I think it works: you have to search for [[Unfinished]] with Ctrl + F in the Daily Documents folder. Previously I tried adding Daily Documents as portals or search portals in other rems and it didn’t work.

2 Likes

Thank you. The AND operator trick is helpful.
Being able to make different view of one rem structure may enable more use cases. Request for Queries (Query/Searching use cases)

As the filter trick for AND operator, I wanna make it static to the search portal so as to avoid manual typing next time. So I come up an idea that make two level searches in a nested way to contrive AND operation, but in vain.

2 Likes

Did you figure this out Reijo? I’m curious as well…

Yes, in here: [Wiki] Tricks of search function: simple logic operation and language adaptation - #4 by Reijo :slight_smile:

Another way to this: create search portal anywhere, type “isDescendant:” and then add a reference to Daily Document so: “[[Daily Document]]” and then reference to Unfinished power up rem “[[Unfinished]]” so the whole query looks like this:

isDescendant: [[Daily Document]] [[Unfinished]]

I wonder whether there are other “hidden” operators such as “isDescendant:” :slight_smile:

Btw. “isDescendant:[[Daily Document]]” alone shows no results, you need to add another reference (such as [[Unfinished]] in above case) but it can also be a tag! (e.g. “##Some_Tag”)

I hope that helps,
Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s really a useful trick. :slightly_smiling_face:

However, this tricks seems not work in search window of [[

1 Like