Documenting the "zombie rems" and sync related issues

Meet same issue. And i found the desktop version is 1.2.5, but online version not change?

1 Like

is this endless refresh bug still persisting after the previous update?

The endless refresh is gone as of today
Probably due to the update from last night

All other issues in the post are still occurring, though

1 Like

Good to know as it has been fixed in the last two updates.

This is as expected, because the intention of starting this topic is so that we can document these edge cases and reproduce the bug better. This will help the dev team in fixing the issue, tremendously.

Yes, on other platforms they were gone before though periodically it happens like once a wk

The specific case I listed above was the exception that had persisted regardless of the 2 previous updates
Though fixed now

This is as expected, because the intention of starting this topic is so that we can document these edge cases and reproduce the bug better. This will help the dev team in fixing the issue, tremendously.

Yes I get that
Just was making sure I was clear on which part was fixed so there was not a misunderstanding that the issue had been taken care of

I’ve posted the link number 1 you mentioned : Many (many) copies of rems have been created overnight confused (#stub and others)

In my experience, it is partially related to content that is created by copy-pasting text “in RemNote language”.

I give (in the link) the example of content copy-pasted from my library which resemble this :

The statistical physics of cities, Barthelemy, [[Issued/2019]]
[[People/Authors/Barthelemy, Marc]]
[[Issued/2019]] in [[Journals/Nature Reviews Physics]]

This creates: #stub for (I believe) each new [[ ]] rem created, creates as many copies (I believe) as authors of the rem People/Authors, same with Issued and Journals…

However, #stub are also created randomly when I create a new rem on the fly. I’ve typed [[Cats, and now I have another #stub that only tags the rem Cats.

this is certainly a weird behaviour. I am unsure why there is a duplicate Stub. Can you confirm if there are more stubs like this?

The intended behaviour is :

• When you create a top level rem directly from [[, it get’s tagged as a stub.
  • This helps you track empty top level rems

Can you test and tell me which Stub gets tagged when a new top level rem is created using [[.

Hi @Karthikk

My issue is there is a untitled page contains power up rems which I can not delete.

Reproduce steps:

1. I deleted all rems in my account and re-imported the backup in Desktop version
  2. After some minutes, the issue comes again when I use the online version in new Edge

This is annoying as I have try the above steps multiple times to try to delete this untitled page.
This issue may be caused by broken rem metadata in my account in the browser indexdb?

I get the information for this Rem from devtools which I marked with title “This rem can not be deleted”

{"_id":“YNEiLrixEND7r4Kv6”,“key”:[“this rem can not deleted”],“owner”:“68ADZygAbXSEbBr7o”,“children”:[“ftwCym3raj4E2h44G”],“subBlocks”:[“ftwCym3raj4E2h44G”,“jRjmsChv7yRnpCSXB”],“portalsIn”:[],“createdAt”:1614586026594,“n”:1,“u”:1614590814437,“typeParents”:[“4RJujXanNHz75Sk6X”],“excludedTypeParents”:[],“op”:true,“s”:1614589702140,“enableBackSR”:false}

Now it’s every parentless rem created on the fly that create a new #stub instance :

Extremely annoying. :confused:

Additional question: do you think it’s normal that the copying and pasting text in RemNote language such as [[People/Authors/ftfk1]] and [[People/Authors/ftfk2]] creates a new instance of People/Authors that are parent of ftfk1 and another People/authors that is parent of ftfkt2?

I need to know if this behaviour is specific to me.

Hi @lovedebug, thanks for documenting this. We will certainly try to catch this bug as soon as we can.

@hannesfrank and @Martin, could use your expertise here.

Yes, I think that’s the intended behaviour. Since it’s possible to have multiple rems with the same name, I think RemNote is just going to create those as different rems for you. has been clarified otherwise here
Where are you copy/pasting this from?

This is quite distressing indeed. @Martin any idea how we could fix this?

Thanks for your reply =)

I’m copying and pasting from mendeley, but I don’t think it’s relevant as I have the same result from elsewhere.

The “duplicated stubs” issue was reported on Github before (not sure about the “pasting nested references” one) and Martin is very active fixing this kind of glitches.

For me both things work (again?), i.e. no duplicated rem, on both the latest desktop app and the web version:

This looks really strange. I think this is something Martin has to fix. If it does not normalize itself after the next update, you might have to open a support ticket (account issue) from within RemNote and devs will fix your database personally.

Could you show us a screenshot of your Highlight power up as well where Color > Red should be located? Is there another Red or is it missing from there then?

I thought the event timestamp may has some bugs, as different devices may have different local time due to some reasons. So the client synced event streams from server may applied wrong sequences.

1 Like

Thanks for your testing :+1:

It is annoying, but I’ve since learned that the merge utility does the trick (in the meantime).

However, the problem is still there for me (I work on desktop version 1.2.8).
Screenshot of stub created this morning (30min ago) and yesterday :

1 Like

Hi @Karthikk and @hannesfrank

Thanks a lot for your help. for the Red rem, just searched my base, it shows as below:

You can find there is a unnamed rem has power up flag.
And I found more untiled page with power up rems. sadly.

This mainly caused by I just use remnote in my MBP?

I could force delete them and ignore the errors, but after I use remnote in other devices, the issue will be popped up again

After force deleted the Untitled rems, i searched Red rem again. it shows below:

That’s string there are 2 Colors? Any suggestions?
Waiting for your kindly help. Thanks again.

The #Orphan suggests that this was some migration glitch when the internal database got an update.

Since everything is nicely tagged with #Orphan it should be an easy manual fix by the devs if you open a support ticket with an account specific issue by clicking on the bottom right question mark and select feedback.

I remember my todo power up getting duplicated after an update: My Todo powerup got duplicated (temporarily) in the last update · Issue #285 · remnoteio/remnote-issues · GitHub
Don’t know if it is the same issue. This issue is still open but my duplication went away after a day or so by itself (or maybe the devs manually fixed it without me knowing).

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the debugging info!

@dirtp1 are you still experiencing the issue of duplicates in the document table?

To clarify here, pasting this should lead to this tree. The behavior you’re experiencing sounds like a bug.

• People
    • Authors
      • Ftfk1
      • Ftfk2
1 Like