Keyboard Driven Workflow and Commands

also I’d like to be able to scroll using keyboard(arrow keys or PgUp/PgDn) while in queue; which doesn’t seem possible at the moment. I feel this need in cases where answers revealed need scrolling

I don’t think it was listed but a shortcut for

• Open the Rem that a cursor is on either in current pane or new pane.

Something like

• cmd+enter to open the Rem in current pane
  • cmd+shift+enter to open Rem in new pane

Right now I think my only option is to double click.

It seems that theses ones already exists. Capture

any update? I really need some shortcuts! thx!

1. collapse/expand on different level
  2. turn into multiline card and Question rem
  3. delete current document
  4. delete current rem(without selecting it)

Does this help at all, @jackiexiao?

1. Those may be the ones you already know about:

2. Change to Question (must already have :: or it just adds a ? at the end of the rem): image

3. No idea, would be handy.

4. You mean without a click and drag selection or any selection? (Or at all?)
    Ctrl + A selects different aspects inside the desired Rem…group, depending on the number of presses:

• press 1 time: selects the rem your cursor is in (same as double clicking inside of it does).
  • press 2 times: adds the nested rems of that rem (and their nested ones - doesn’t differentiate beyond the first nest, so it counts everything in that…block) to the first selection, if there are any nested Rems.
  • press 3 times: selects all rems in the document.
    You press Delete at the selection level desired and all selected go away cleanly.

^Those already work. I agree that more shortcuts (and smartly done) will be needed tho.

1 Like

thx for your reply!

1. would be better if remnote have something like: ctrl + alt + 0/1/2/3/4 for different level collapse/exapand
  2. change existing rems into multi line card , for example, I know there is ?::: syntax, but it’s not convenient for change existing rems to multi-line card item
  3. Thx!

Here’s something that would be useful for me: ability to define shortcuts to specific documents/Rems. (like ALT+D is to Today’s document)

I have a “home Rem” where I go to very often, with tasks and links to projects I’m currently working on. Every time I want it, I need to use the trackpad to click on it on the sidebar (annoyingly, it’s still slightly quicker than doing CTRL+P, typing first letters of its name, then hitting enter).

Would be good to be able to define a custom shortcut to that.

Even better if I could do this for multiple shortcut/Rem combinations (for other Rems I use often).

1 Like

Another suggestion: have CTRL+\ (navigate to Parent) also work for the Rem currently open (considering, of course, it has a parent).

Example below: if I am in the Apps Rem, and want to navigate to its parent (Time-tracking), I need to use the trackpad and click on it.

You can zoom out with Ctrl+;

2 Likes

True! Good to know there is this shortcut. Thanks

Still, shouldn’t CTRL+\ do the same if the title is in focus? Seems intuitive.

One more suggestion: to be able to use ESC to dismiss UI in more contexts.

See this post and my comment there:

1 Like

I agree! I do the same thing (I call it my START page for my “home” view), where I collect references to various projects I’m currently working on, as well as random todos that I want to carry forward until done.

I use autohotkey for various things, so I made a little autohotkey to pull up my START document and daily docs in facing panes. It would be nice to be able to do it easily just with RemNote, however, by defining a shortcut key to a specific document/rem as @ognsya suggests.

;====== Open Today’s Date and START panes in RemNote, ALT+S =======
!s::
Send, !d ; open Daily Document for today
Sleep 500 ; when scripts don’t work I arbitrarily insert Sleep commands (prob. compensates for slow internet)
Send, ^+p ; Search for Document in the other pane
Sleep 500
Send, {U+2B55} ; I’m using a unique unicode here to make sure it finds only the correct document
Send START ; the unicode plus START designates my start or “home” page
Sleep 250
Send, {Enter}
return

Which gives me this.

In general, I have mixed feeling about all the RemNote hotkeys. There are just so many of them I can’t remember them all. I’m glad there is the / menu, and I wouldn’t be opposed to an old school top menu driven by ALT and the first letter of each menu term as you step into it. I hate “ribbon bar” menus, so I’m glad RemNote doesn’t use those. I’m also glad that autohotkey seems to override the RemNote hotkeys, since several of my autohotkeys are also used by RemNote.

2 Likes

You could just use escape or cmd+. to close the popup. Didn’t know this as an iPad user because we don’t have a dedicated escape button

“Vim is not a text editor its a way of life” :grin:

But on a serious note, since I started using Vim I find typing in any other editor excruciatingly tedious. This feature would be a godsend.

6 Likes

sometime I accidentally create a document(ctrl + enter), I would like a shortcut to delete current document, also a search for shortcut would be better

also, shortcut for open setting using ctrl + ,

Love the ideas listed & interested in all
Specifically interested in this portion

Being able to have the cursor move from pane to pane & being able to close the pane would be ideal. Especially if when you are opening/ closing the side pane you do not lose the content within unless you removed it vs starting from scratch (there are work arounds but this would up the game)

Additionally would like some other options on top of the other items already listed :point_down:

• Would love a search portal hotkey vs using the slash command menu. Use very often & would be helpful accessing quickly

• When cursor with mouse hovers over reference (blue text) a pop out preview menu occurs. Would love to be able to scroll down via keyboard & select item. Cannot select via mouse so would love to be able to do with mouse as well

• When cursor enters reference (blue text) a pop out menu occurs. Would like to be able to select items via keyboard or have all items have a hotkey. IE open rem as document vs double click with mouse

• When at the referenced item when using the mouse you can click on the link icon & a pop out menu opens where you can see & select the results or add a search portal with these results. Would like to be able to access same options via keyboard

• Referenced items have it right now where you can view the references from the zoomed out state via Ctl + Alt + Shift + R but need to select with the mouse. would like to be able to select with keyboard

• Currently there are some options to copy a rem as a reference/ tag/ portal. Would be nice if we could could have an option that with one hotkey would copy & paste it into the document vs 2 steps each time

• Expanding on above bullet it would be great that if you had a your second pane open that you could use these same options but have them paste into the second pane without manually going over to the second pane. If doing a lot of research this would save a lot of time vs copying & then jumping to mouse to move cursor then paste. Challenge might be where it pastes so maybe showing up in a dedicated portal & if we have the ability for the cursor to jump to panes we could do so then move item where needed. If we weren’t limited to one document in a pane at a time we could have them populate into their own document. Still thinking on this one

There is a hybrid option that I am also interested in that use both the mouse & keyboard at same time

• Right now using the mouse we can click on the bullet point of a rem at the same time use Alt & when we drag & drop it will be pasted as a portal. Would love a similar combination that could drop a rem as a reference or tag as well
2 Likes

Currently there are 2 options with the mouse when you can click the link

• LH click opens pop up to open link. Would like to be able to open link via keyboard vs having to use mouse at same time (Ctl + Click)

• Once pop up window is open RH click allows you to copy link. Would also like to be able to do this via keyboard

• Additionally, would like another keyboard option that would allow us to edit link. I would like to have this option not just for the web links themselves but for the embed links of images, audio, etc where I can edit the link via keyboard. There are various reasons but in my case it would allow a dynamic workflow of accessing content where I can change to an embed to view inline or save screen real estate/ distractions & turn into a link as a reference benchmark. I am sure power users out there would have reasons that would work for them as well :point_down:

There were some discussions in Discord where allowing such a feature is more edge case & would not make it so easy for non tech users. I don’t believe it is so much edge case for all users depending on your use case. I understand not having it as a default but just another option in the pop up window

Just like some users would never need to copy the link once it is pasted that option is there for those that need it & can ignore if not needing it. I would like the same option available for those that need it & if you don’t need it then it is something you don’t need to select

@hannesfrank
I want to make a request for swapping two plane (move the right split to the left)
For a user with two monitors, I put remnote in the right monitor and want to move one of the split in remnote I am currently working on to the left side of my right monitor without turning my neck too hard :rofl:

geez, this thread is all over the place, but I’d like to add one more place where I noticed the keyboard flow being broken:

In the queue, when we hit the card goal for the day, or reach a queue checkpoint. I think hitting enter should be equivalent to clicking the Keep Going button. Currently we have no choice but to use the mouse and click it.

1 Like