Why "two" references show up in one reference? (Hide path before reference)

When I reference a child rem (“Child Word”) that has a referencing parent rem (“Parent Topic” rem links to another rem), I get the parent and child in the reference (see below). Why is that? Is there a way to simply show “Child Word” rem as the reference without the “Parent Topic >” beforehand?

I also find this quite annoying. At the moment I’m waiting for a update, that will allow for custom link texts. Like this for example.

Bug Reported:

Because Child Word is probably a Descriptor type rem. If you create a reference to a descriptor type rem then you would see its parent as well in the reference. But if you create a reference to Concept type or Question type you would see only what you are referring to. You can change the type of Child Word
from the bottom tool bar or through shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl + Alt + C for Concept type)

Thanks for your suggestion. I played around with manually selecting it to be a Concept and creating a new Concept that also is a card. It still shows up with the Parent Topic in front. It doesn’t do this if Parent Topic isn’t referencing something else, but it seems to do it for references nested within references.

This indeed looks like a bug to me. You may file a bug here https://github.com/remnoteio/remnote-issues/issues

I Would be good to allow the user to choose how these things show.
I also prefer a cleaner design.

I guess it could be possible to hide these by targeting their CSS class. I haven’t played around with this much yet though. Perhaps @hannesfrank can shine a light here

Did someone call for a CSS wizard?

You can hide everything with this:

.rem-indented-indicator {
  display: none;
}
.gray {
}
.join-arrow {
}
  • .rem-indented-indicator is the vertical bar
  • .gray is the parent reference and
  • join-arrow is the little >

The markup is not very nuanced here (another point for the improvements in Custom Rem-level formatting with tags) so this hides everything, always - even if you right-click and select show full name.

@hannesfrank Thanks for the CSS options. I am using the .rem-indented-indicator and I like that, but hiding the parent and arrow CSS hides everything as you said, which makes it difficult to use searches, so I’m not using those CSS code. I read your post that you linked to but could use some help understanding how it would work in this situation. Could you explain how we would hide the parent and arrow in the reference with your custom rem-level formatting (and is this available yet?)? Is this something that is applied to the rem being referenced (and inherited by all rem that references it)?

@edhowe The method of the linked post (using tags to trigger certain CSS rules) does not apply here. CSS targeting a reference is always active and does not depend on tags. I was just referring to a problem mentioned there: The markup of RemNote is not as detailed as it could be. This means we are limited in how much we can achieve with CSS.