Existing Rem not found, but later found

Using the browser-based version of RemNote, there are Rem that I have already created, and exist in document list, yet when I use [[ to add them in another area, they are not found. I can create them as new REM, but then they are duplicated. Interestingly, they registered fine on another computer (in the browser version) and once I opened that version, the REMs showed up, finally on the first computer.
I have had this happen before.

I just entered a bug report for the same thing before noticing your comment. This is happening to me on Chrome. It really disrupts the workflow.

Interestingly the search finds links to the rem but not the page itself.

Interestingly the searches work on chrome on my chromebook but not on on Edge on a Windows machine.

However, if I log out of Edge and back in again it resyncs and the rems can be found again. I would guess this is a local indexing problem and logging out and in again resets the index.

I sometimes got the creeping suspicion, that not all the Rems of my Knowledge Base get searched. Below you will find a picture showing exactly this. The Construct ā€œMatheamtical Proficincyā€ (which I created several days ago) could not be find with the include-search (and normal search). Is this a well known bug and what can I do to solve it?

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Hey @alexander.hoerig, thanks for reporting this!

We are investigating into this :slight_smile:

1 Like

The usual problem when something is not found is that the search is configured to only search concepts. This does not seem to apply here (Mathematical proficiency seems to be a Concept already).

There are some edge cases where the search index is not regenerated and therefore misses some rem that were not present in the last index. This happens for example sometimes for the first search of the synced rem. Usually exiting the search and triggering it again regenerates the index and shows all rem.

Is the rem missing from all searches (Ctrl + S, Ctrl + P, [[) or just [[? I noticed that Ctrl + S and Ctrl + P for example priorize results differently.

1 Like

Escaping the Search did not work. But chosing the mathematical proficiency in the Search is. The Behaivor was the same for all Searches. What I found as well is funny beaivor with incomplete Words:
Searchresults for mathematic

Searchresults for mathematical

Is only the whole Word searched(Does not look like it)?

Hi all!

My RemNote has started with a new problem - the Rems Iā€™ve been making recently arenā€™t showing up in searches! As a result, Iā€™m creating duplicates of pages because RemNote doesnā€™t tell me Iā€™ve already made this thing beforeā€¦

I can fix the issue when I remember that Iā€™ve made it before - I have to navigate to somewhere where the page is already referenced and go into the page and change the title (as simple as deleting and retyping a character) - then RemNote starts indexing the Rem properly and I can use it as normal.

But itā€™s a big problem if my info isnā€™t showing up when I need it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :smiley:
Stuart

got the same Problem => Search is not including all Constructs/Rems

Iā€™m a new user and have been having this exact problem. I wasnā€™t sure if I was just misunderstanding some important distinction between certain rems that show up in search vs. not, but it looks like Iā€™m not alone with this problem.

The most recent example that led to me searching for this just now is that I was trying to tag a rem with ā€œ##Image,ā€ which I created and used yesterday, and literally nothing showed up in the search except for the times I used the word ā€œimageā€ in text. It doesnā€™t show no matter how I searchā€”via ##, [[, or even CMD + P.

I was almost certainly going to be buying the lifetime plan after my trial is up, but when functionality as critical as search doesnā€™t even work, it really makes me worried that core features like finding every reference wonā€™t work properly, either. This is a very big issue, in my opinion, so I really hope they get it sorted soon! :frowning:

I posted this over in this thread, as well: https://forum.remnote.io/t/new-rems-not-showing-up-in-search/5764

Iā€™m a new user and have been having this exact problem. I wasnā€™t sure if I was just misunderstanding some important distinction between certain rems that show up in search vs. not, but it looks like Iā€™m not alone with this problem.

The most recent example that led to me searching for this just now is that I was trying to tag a rem with ā€œ##Image,ā€ which I created and used yesterday, and literally nothing showed up in the search except for the times I used the word ā€œimageā€ in text. It doesnā€™t show no matter how I searchā€”via ##, [[, or even CMD + P.

I was almost certainly going to be buying the lifetime plan after my trial is up, but when functionality as critical as search doesnā€™t even work, it really makes me worried that core features like finding every reference wonā€™t work properly, either. This is a very big issue, in my opinion, so I really hope they get it sorted soon! :frowning:

I am having the same issue. Even when disabling searching on concepts only, not every instance appears in search. Hiding Rems doesnā€™t seem to affect it either. New documents just arenā€™t showing up.

Logging out of the account, logging back in, and downloading my k-base again has made the searches I was looking for this evening show up. So thatā€™s a temporary fix for anyone who needs the search feature now. I look forward to a patch that makes this not needed though.

Hi,

I was writing some text and entered [[John Smith]] and hit ctrl-enter to create a new rem. Now when I search for John Smith using ctrl-O this Rem is not found and Iā€™m prompted to create a new rem again.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ?

Cheers,
David

I didnā€™t find which step you did wrong, and I can find John Smith by doing what you said. Soā€¦ it should be a bug

This surely shouldnā€™t be happening! Could you pls try this again and see if you are not able to find rems altogether.

It couldā€™ve been a very discrete event where you might not have created the Rem due to some reason. There shouldnā€™t be any other reason why you canā€™t find this rem again.

Additionally, are you assuming that itā€™s lost because it letā€™s/ prompts you to create a new Rem with that name? because thatā€™s totally normal as you can create multiple rems with the same string of text. If you have a lot of John or Smith in your database, it might just be somewhere in the drop down.

Kindly let us know what the case is, so that we could further investigate this. Thanks for reaching out!

I will try to repeat it but I think you have some bugs in your indexing. Iā€™ve also noticed that if I move a rem from a parent and make it a top level rem then it claims that it is still referenced in the old parent. Both this and the issue of not being able to find recently created rems go away if you log out and log in again which I presume forces a rebuild of the cache. Iā€™ll have a go tomorrow to see if I can get a repeatable case for you. I know intermittent bugs are a bugger to track down.

1 Like

Yes, exactly! Thank you for understanding and highly appreciate all the help in reproducing this.

Its search ability is relatively lacking, especially the Chinese search ability. How many keywords cannot be searched out.
I have a document titled "ę—¶é—“ęˆ³ā€
Snipaste_2021-08-05_22-57-48

but I couldnā€™t find it by search portalā€¦

I initially wrote about this problem in another thread here. The problem disappeared for a while but is now back with a vengeance! Initially, I could fix it by quitting and restarting RemNote. Now, however, RemNote is not returning any aliases when I search for themā€”not a single one! Iā€™ve quit and restarted several times, forced a complete re-sync, etc, but nothing works.

Note that RemNote will not find any of my aliases regardless of whether I search for them via [[ , ##, or CMD + P. Yet, when I reference the actual rem inline via [[, click it, and choose to add an alias, the existing aliases for that rem do show up in the menu for me to click on.

As far as I can tell, it is only impacting aliases this time, though I obviously canā€™t know that for sure unless I try to search for every single rem in my KB. Itā€™s very strange.

Has anybody figured out if thereā€™s any rhyme or reason as to what triggers this bug and whether the team has made any progress on this bug yet?

Iā€™m a very new user who nevertheless took the plunge and paid for the Life-time Leaning Plan to help support development. However, several things are still just completely confounding me. The most frustrating one recently is that I do not understand why certain rems wonā€™t show up when I search for them.

For example, hereā€™s one that Iā€™m dealing with this very minute. I created this tag the other day and have used it before as both a reference, as you can see at the bottom of the screenshot, and also as a tag, which shows in the portal underneath but isnā€™t in the screenshot. Yet, when I try to search for it now to tag others, it wonā€™t show up at all no matter what I do! Iā€™m using the desktop app at the moment and have forced a re-sync just to make sure everything is caught up, but the problem persists.

I havenā€™t even been using RemNote for a week, but this has happened many, many, many times with many other rems, causing me to mistakenly create several duplicates. Itā€™s been driving me crazy because Iā€™m still way too new to know if this is user error on my part or something else. Am I missing something here, or is this just completely broken?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Sean