This is a wiki post. If you have something to add, please do!
I think it would also be nice to have short gifs demonstrating each trick. If you have fun recording those, it would be greatly appreciated.
The WYSIWYG editor not perfectly polished for keyboard only use yet (see label
editor-polish on github). E.g. it is not perfectly intuitive how to work with formatting environments (bold, italic, quote, cloze, …) (Space characters around cloze, quote, latex environments and other glitches · Issue #218 · remnoteio/remnote-issues · GitHub).
Nevertheless there are a bunch of tricks, workarounds and hacks to make the editing experience more fluent.
If you do something regularly, please share it below!
- Use (Alt +) Enter (depending on your Keyboard Shortcuts > Split with Alt + Enter setting) to insert a rem below no matter where your current cursor is.
- Shift + Enter for a line break on the current rem.
- With caret inside a rem, pressing Ctrl + A once selects all text inside, twice selects the rem and its children, thrice selects all rem in the open document.
- For formats with a shortcode (bold
``) you can press that short code again to end that formatting.
- Press End to go to the end of the line to exit all formatting.
- Add text before code block: Make rem with your text before and press Del at it’s end to join them.
- Add text after code block: You should be able to press Esc, but it is bugged at the moment. Make a rem after and join them.
- Indent a code block: Press Ctrl + A twice to select the block, then press Tab.
- Edit the title: Just edit the blue text right in the editor.
- Edit the url:
- Select the rem containing the link using Shift + Down or by pressing Ctrl + A twice.
- Paste into code block.
- Edit the URL part of the markdown link
[link title](http://url-of-link.com)to your liking.
- Copy & paste the link back using Ctrl + Shift + V and delete the code block.
- To remove formatting and hyperlinks from text copied from a website etc. use Ctrl+Shift+V.
- To remove newlines (when you don’t want each line on a separate rem) or to paste formatting markup like
__raw without actually formatting the text: Create a blank code block with
/code, paste into it, then copy and paste from the code block into a rem using Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V.