Multiline and list worse than cloze with shift+enter for list flashcards, updates needed

For organising rem they are still better (grouping and reordering individual rem that can have individual links), but for actual flashcards it’s no contest.
See Images.

• Multiline possible cards, only possible to test for the whole list at once or its heading
  • List (or set) possible cards, only possible to test for the whole list in order top to bottom or its heading
  • Cloze possible cards.
    • Separate clozes for each, perfect for memorising the list visually
    • Hide all show one allows for testing for a specific list item, again great for memorising an ordered list visually
    • Merging all clozes gives the same result as a multiline, just without the backwards option
    • Of course, you can always bring the header in and test for it that way
  • Clozing members of a multiline or list doesn’t give the visual aid of the item’s location

I think it is necessary to give multilines, lists, and sets an option to show their children in random order, one by one, or hide all, show one. See also a request to beef up clozes themselves: Clozes: hide all, combine clozes, clues/hints, start/end points for Queue's and more! (a system to fully customize Queue's. Please read the description)

I’d like the multiline option to show the number of rem on the flashcard. If, for example, a multiline had four children, then the front of the flashcard would show four dots (spaced vertically, where the dots for the rem would be). This would give me a clue as to how many items I should try to recall.

4 Likes

I agree with a lot of the suggestions here

If I have a number list where I am being shown 1 child at a time (or any list that does that) I want to rate my understanding per child & be shown the child at the proper time according to my answer

Otherwise I might as well see all the children at the same time if all the children are going to get the same rating, regardless if I do not understand them at the same level

Be nice when the children are being shown at the proper time (dependent on the rating level) that there would be options to see the other children for context or to not see the other children with it but see that you are looking for child 2, for example. Basically have options of how everything is pulled together

Anyways, Vote + 1 for revamp for lists from flashcard perspective (yes added vote)

1 Like

Hi.In Effective learning: Twenty rules of formulating knowledge we learn to avoid sets and numberings because they make learning more difficult but also that is better deal with numerations making clozes bc that makes learning fastest bc we don’t have to stop repetitions to learn the whole squence of items. In a list card we are only asked for 1 item and we cannot see the other items unless we have learned the other items above. It would be better if we can be tested as a numbered list but also see the other items in the list.
Example:

What is the sequence of letters in the alphabet?::1.

1. {{A}}
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D

The next flashcard shoud be:

What is the sequence of letters in the alphabet?::1.

1. A
  2. {{B}}
  3. C
  4. D

And so it goes on.

This will help us to learn more quickly as we will not get stuck on previous items. We can see the full items and try to memorize every time as recommend supermemo. We can have this feature as a new type of card or even better, as a toggle feature in the list card as we can have when in a cloze card we don’t wanna see the other items in addition to the item in question. And i know that we can just make cloze cards like What is the sequence of letters in the alphabet?: {{A}}, {{B}}, {{C}}, {{D}} but it’s not visually accurate for a list.

1 Like

I find the way they currently function in Remnote to be superior for recall. I have lists I attempted to memorize in Anki using clozes in the method you describe and if asked to recite the list there is no way I would be able to, despite successfully passing the individual cards which show full context. I can recite my lists in Remnote without issue, because they force me to start from the beginning and recite in order. Like how a list actually is.

Everything I have read about memory and skill development suggests that going in the same order every time is better for learning, so I don’t see how jumping around or showing extra context during learning that won’t actually exist when it comes time for practical recall would be beneficial.

Edit: I think a great middle ground to make everyone happy would be if lists had options for

A) How many items are tested in a single flashcard.

and

B) In which order to test them.

This would make it easy to set it up the way it currently is for those who prefer it. It would also allow automatically breaking down large lists into sets of 3 items at a time, which is my only complaint with the current system. And it would also handle Renzo’s preference for testing one item at a time with full context, and it even covers Supermemo’s example of testing 3 letter sequences of the alphabet in no particular order.

Perhaps an ever so slightly less trivial example may be helpful. Imagine that each item of the list is itself a flashcard, so it is needed to first memorise what each item is, then where in the list it is, then part of the list, then the whole list itself. Using a partial cloze method, it would be possible to ascend these steps gradually, while the current lack of functionality forces to either cram the whole list from the start or create a separate rem with different clozes for parts of the list that are added as references. Not to mention that as the number of items and the time between repetitions increases, failure to recall any one of them forces either an honest reset of all or hoping that next repetition will be better.

To give a concrete example, I (shamefully) failed to recall that 9 is ennea in Greek (damn “novem” cross-talk!) when doing the whole list. The way it is stored right now I had no choice but to press hard and hope for the best the next time it comes around. If I had a few reps of, say, 5-10 before the 1-10 I’m pretty sure I’d have managed it.

Also worth noting that while going in the same order is easier for memorisation, certainly not everything you memorise in order will be encountered in order. Heck, you may even specifically keep a few partial cloze lists in rotation alongside the full list to have additional interleaving opportunities during your review sessions.

1 Like

So for example when you have a list.

• Characteristic A
  • Characteristic B
  • Characteristic C

To fill in the blank one, while stile showing the others.
According to the 20 rules of Knowledge formulation, this would be a great feature.

At the moment you can work around it with alt/command + enter which doesn’t look that great and sometimes even fucks up the structure.

1 Like

Moved to the new platform